Office of MN Governor Tim Walz and Lt. Governor Peggy Flanagan

 

[ST. PAUL, MN] – Governor Tim Walz Monday authorized emergency assistance for Wilkin County for damage sustained from a series of severe thunderstorms with damaging winds between July 6-8, 2020.

 

“Our local governments are important partners in everything we do, and it’s our duty to help out our neighbors when the unexpected happens,” said Governor Walz. “That’s why we’re authorizing state disaster assistance in Wilkin County to aid in their recovery from these storms.” 

 

Beginning on July 6 and continuing through July 8, a series of severe storms produced heavy rain showers and high winds throughout Wilkin County. Among the major impacts of this storm was extensive damage to electrical transmission lines owned by Traverse Electric Cooperative, a company that provides electrical service to the southern half of Wilkin County.

 

The State Disaster Assistance Contingency Account will cover 75 percent of eligible costs, or $32,216. Wilkin county is responsible for the remaining 25 percent. The Department of Public Safety division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management will work with Wilkin County officials to provide assistance as directed by the Governor.